Re: How do I make mate-panel on Debian Mate look like the one on Linux Mint?

On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 at 19:31, Mike Gabriel
<mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de> wrote:

> Hi Ottavio,
>
> On  Di 04 Apr 2023 11:10:42 CEST, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been using Linux Mint Debian Edition for a few years (with Mate
> > instead of Cinnamon) only and exclusively because of the single
> > panel layout [1], but Debian Mate comes with a two panel layout [2].
> >

> > [1] https://i.imgur.com/DMjTUp1.jpeg
> > [2] https://www.server-world.info/en/Debian_11/desktop/img/11.png
> >
> > My simple and brutal question is: how do you get a single panel
> > layout on stock Debian Mate?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Are you asking how to click your way through to a Linux-Mint-like
> look'n'feel? Or are you asking how to deploy a customized MATE desktop
> to more than one user/system?
>
> If you want to learn about the latter, there are some examples online
> that do the tweaking via an extra DEB package:
>
> Here for Ubuntu MATE:
> https://github.com/ubuntu-mate/ubuntu-mate-settings/tree/master/usr/share/mate-panel/layouts
> https://github.com/ubuntu-mate/ubuntu-mate-settings/blob/master/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/30_ubuntu-mate.gschema.override
>
> Or here for Debian Edu (single panel layout)
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian-edu/debian-edu-config/-/tree/master/share/mate-panel/layouts
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian-edu/debian-edu-config/-/blob/master/share/glib-2.0/schemas/31_debian-edu%2Bmate.gschema.override

I think I've narrowed it down to mint-artwork:

$ dpkg -L mint-artwork|grep mate-panel
/usr/share/mate-panel
/usr/share/mate-panel/layouts
/usr/share/mate-panel/layouts/mint.layout

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mint-artwork/

--
Ottavio Caruso