Re: How do I make mate-panel on Debian Mate look like the one on Linux Mint?

Hi Ottavio,

On  Di 04 Apr 2023 11:10:42 CEST, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

Hi,

I've been using Linux Mint Debian Edition for a few years (with Mate instead of Cinnamon) only and exclusively because of the single panel layout [1], but Debian Mate comes with a two panel layout [2].

[1] https://i.imgur.com/DMjTUp1.jpeg
[2] https://www.server-world.info/en/Debian_11/desktop/img/11.png

My simple and brutal question is: how do you get a single panel layout on stock Debian Mate?

Thanks.

Are you asking how to click your way through to a Linux-Mint-like look'n'feel? Or are you asking how to deploy a customized MATE desktop to more than one user/system?

If you want to learn about the latter, there are some examples online that do the tweaking via an extra DEB package:

Here for Ubuntu MATE:
https://github.com/ubuntu-mate/ubuntu-mate-settings/tree/master/usr/share/mate-panel/layouts
https://github.com/ubuntu-mate/ubuntu-mate-settings/blob/master/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/30_ubuntu-mate.gschema.override

Or here for Debian Edu (single panel layout)
https://salsa.debian.org/debian-edu/debian-edu-config/-/tree/master/share/mate-panel/layouts
https://salsa.debian.org/debian-edu/debian-edu-config/-/blob/master/share/glib-2.0/schemas/31_debian-edu%2Bmate.gschema.override

Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31