Re: Debian 11 Xfce panel Network Manager applet has disappeared

On Sun 14/04/2024 at 13:29, David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> debian-user:
>
> I have a Dell Latitude E6520:
>
> 2024-04-14 04:28:39 dpchrist@laalaa ~
> $ cat /etc/debian_version ; uname -a
> 11.9
> Linux laalaa 5.10.0-28-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.209-2 (2024-01-31)
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> 2024-04-14 04:34:40 dpchrist@laalaa ~
> $ dpkg-query -l xfce4 network-manager network-manager-gnome
> |
> Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name                  Version          Architecture Description
> +++-=====================-================-============-=========================================================
> ii  network-manager       1.30.6-1+deb11u1 amd64        network
> management framework (daemon and userspace tools)
> ii  network-manager-gnome 1.20.0-3         amd64        network
> management framework (GNOME frontend)
> ii  xfce4                 4.16             all          Meta-package
> for
> the Xfce Lightweight Desktop Environment
>

> I have used the Xfce panel Network Manager applet for many years.
> Tonight, I noticed that it has disappeared (!).
>

> But, the machine is connected to my LAN:
>
> 2024-04-14 05:24:10 root@laalaa ~
> # ifconfig wlp3s0
> wlp3s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
>          inet 192.168.REDACTED  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast
> 192.168.REDACTED
>          inet6 REDACTED  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
>          ether REDACTED  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
>          RX packets 5786  bytes 2830592 (2.6 MiB)
>          RX errors 0  dropped 119  overruns 0  frame 0
>          TX packets 3897  bytes 518278 (506.1 KiB)
>          TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
>

> Looking in the the Xfce panel Application Menu, I am unable to find
> Network Manager.
>

> Looking at the Debian WIKI page "NetworkManager":
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager
>

> It looks like the Network Manager daemon is running:
>
> 2024-04-14 04:32:49 dpchrist@laalaa ~
> $ ps -A | grep -i network
>      828 ?        00:00:00 NetworkManager
>

> nm-applet(1) looks like the program I want (?).  Attempting to start it
> via a terminal has no effect:
>
> 2024-04-14 04:40:25 dpchrist@laalaa ~
> $ which nm-applet
> /usr/bin/nm-applet
>
> 2024-04-14 05:27:05 dpchrist@laalaa ~
> $ nm-applet
>
> 2024-04-14 05:27:08 dpchrist@laalaa ~
> $
>

> RTFM nm-applet(1), it seems the desktop session manager is failing to
> start nm-applet(1) (?):
>
> 2024-04-14 04:58:49 dpchrist@laalaa ~
> $ man nm-applet | cat
> DESCRIPTION
>         nm-applet  is  a GTK-based GUI applet to monitor network status
>         and devices and to start and stop network  connections  managed
>         by  NetworkManager.   nm-applet is normally started at login by
>         the desktop session manager and does not need to be  run  manu-
> [...]

Hi David,

I can't speak for XFCE, but certainly for Mate there was a time when multiple notification area panel widgets were available, not all of which would show everything to be expected.  Is that a possibility?

Does

$ ps aux |grep nm-applet

show anything?  Before or after

$ nm-applet