Re: dmesg reporting lots of errors apparently emanating from a Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller ...

On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 04:50:28AM +0000, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> On 1/6/24, Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I may not even have an NVMe card in my computer as the manufacturer
> > claims.
>
>  My DELL Inspiron 5593 actually does have a M.2 512GB KIOXIA NVMe SSD,
> which I need to use! The problem, as I described here without getting
> a solution for it:
>
> // __ I cannot change BIOS settings on my laptop?
>
>  https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i-cannot-change-bios-settings-on-my-laptop.3833102/
> ~

Where did the laptop come from? Some (few) ex-business laptops are sold
with a BIOS password set by an original owner, say, where the vendor
has reconditioned them but can't unlock the BIOS.

That is unusual: if the worst comes to the worst, just reflash the BIOS.

>  is that I can't access/change the BIOS settings on my own laptop to
> make the hdd work in AHCI mode, I think. I have also read that Debian
> Linux has problems operating such cards:

Which operating system(s) do you have on this? Do you have a Windows 10 that
was preinstalled by someone? Dells have an annoying habit of installing
with the BIOS setting as RAID by default. if Windows or another operating
system is there and already installed, it may be that you can't modify it
while there's an OS using it, if you see what I mean.

The same goes for a vendor installing Windows as Legacy/MBR - if you then
want to change to UEFI, it's easier just to reinstall the whole thing.

> https://superuser.com/questions/1502756/debian-not-detecting-nvme-asus-zenbook-ux430ua
>
> I purchased a Dell XPS 8930 with an NVMe dirve. Debian and Fedora did
> not recognize the NVMe. I had to use Ubuntu 18.04 for the drive to be
> recognized. I'm not sure what Ubuntu is doing that Debian is not, but
> I suspect it has something to do with updates. Debian tends to stick
> with old and broken software. They will not upgrade for users. – jww
> Nov 23, 2019 at 4:28
> ~

That's a very old quote now ...

>  You may know how to deal with such problems, better than I do, since
> I don't tend to mind the intricate technical details about computer
> hardware, even though I understand well the physics in them.

Can you get into the BIOS to change anything e.g. time settings or
default NumLock to check?

>  Every piece of computer hardware my paranoia uses seems to have a
> mind of its own. I have decided to not use computers (do all the
> writing by hand on paper), but the data processing and algorithmic
> basis of my paper I have to do on a computer.
>
>  Any suggestions?
>
>  lbrtchx

All best, as ever,

Andy