Re: Documentation for KVM/QEMU? [Re: How to get VMware Player going on Debian 12 bookworm]

On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 1:36 AM Rick Thomas <rick.thomas@pobox.com> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend good documentation on KVM/QEMU that would allow me to get up to speed on it quickly?

I don't know if or where good documentation exists. Sorry about that.

QEMU/KVM is mostly like Virtual Box. If you know Virtual Box, then you
have most of what you need for QEMU/KVM.

You can create a desktop shortcut for QEMU/KVM by issuing:

    cd ~/Desktop
    cp -p /usr/share/applications/virt-manager.desktop
    chmod +x virt-manager.desktop

Then you can easily launch the UI.

The other trick with QEMU/KVM is, the screen button shows the guest as
expected. And the button with the letter "i" shows the guest
configuration. See the red boxes highlighting the buttons at
<https://ibb.co/1ZzDwht> and <https://ibb.co/8rqtZw3>.

The one problem I have encountered is related to networking. I want a
bridged connection so the VM guest gets an IP address from my DHCP
server. But the network adapter seems to be stuck in NAT mode, even
after switching to bridged mode. So the VM guest always gets a
192.168.0.0/16 address, and never gets an IP address from my DHCP
server. That means I cannot SSH to the guest because I use
172.16.0.0/12 behind my firewall to avoid address and routing problems
from my ISP's router.

Jeff