How to get VMware Player going on Debian 12 bookworm

The title says it all, I hope.  I've tried installing vmware player on my Bookworm according to the instructions from
    https://techviewleo.com/install-vmware-on-debian/

But I can't seem to get vmware player to start up.  What am I doing wrong?  Is there a better location to look for instruction?

Thanks,
Rick

PS: My motivation is that I have a young friend (he is mid 20s; I myself am mid 70s) who wants to learn Linux, and in particular, how to set up and use virtual machines.  I have a Dell machine that I'm not using that would be ideal for his learning experiences and I would like to make it available to him.  I'm a Debian user for over 20 years, so I'd like to base his study on Debian because that's what I know best and would be best able to mentor.

PPS: If VMware isn't a good choice, would there be a better VM supervisor I could use?  If so, can you point me to a set of instructions for it?