Re: How can I find packages manually installed using "dpkg -i"?

On Mon, Oct 02, 2023 at 11:24:04PM -0500, David Wright wrote:

[...]

> If you have complete logs and try this, presumably coming up with a
> sorted list of apt-installed packages (remembering --unique) from its
> history, and a similar list from the ' install ' lines in dpkg.log*,
> bear in mind that you need to ignore the dpkg.log until about when
> locales is installed, as APT never sees a load of packages installed
> before that point.

[...]

Very good points you make, all of them. Thanks.

> Also be careful if you're tempted to sort dpkg.log's install lines
> by time, instead of grepping the logs in the correct (non-collating)
> order, because for people in the western hemisphere, the packages you
> want to ignore will have UTC timestamps, placing them in the midst
> of packages installed after the d-i has finished. (The timestamps
> jump from UTC to localtime after locales is installed.)

Eek. And as I've seen they have no time offset indicators, so
the times even can be ambiguous (winter to summer transition).
I always thought it's a bad idea to use anything else than UTC
in logs.

Cheers