Re: just a question about the iwlwifi_20230515-3 file

On Tue, Sep 05, 2023 at 03:39:59PM -0400, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
> This is what I did and the errors it produced.
>
> root@debiandesktop-4:/home/maureen/Debian# dpkg -i
> firmware-iwlwifi_20210315-3_all.deb
> dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
> dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
> dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
> Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and
> /sbin

At this point, you are not root and so dpkg -i complains.

Assuming that you have an Intel wifi chipset and previously had iwlwifi
installed, there's probably no need to install a non-free-firmware package
from sid just to get iwlwifi versions that absolutely match the error message
that prompted you to go looking for a newer version.

In general: firmware doesn't change *that* often and an older iwlwifi
verion will just carry on working until there's a new one to replace it.

DontBreakDebian - mixing distribution versions is hard and can lead to
significant problems.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater