Re: I uninstalled OpenMediaVault (because totally overkill for me) and replaced it with borgbackup and rsyncq

On 2023-09-01, Linux-Fan wrote:

> For my regular user files, I think a file-based deduplication works OK. But
> for my VM images, hardlinks would only save space for those VMs which did not
> run between the current and the preceding backup.

rsnapshot de-duplicate files not blocks. If you backup files from your VM
you can de-duplicate. If you want to backup whole VM images of course you
need a tool working on physical blocks.

> Btw.: I am personally not using any hard-link based approach, mostly due to
> the missing encryption and integrity protection of data and metadata.

rsnapshot use hard links on the backup filesystem. I encrypt this
filesystem. Integrity is the same for all backup systems. Doing 2 backups
on remote places cover this.