Re: I uninstalled OpenMediaVault (because totally overkill for me) and replaced it with borgbackup and rsyncq

Michel Verdier writes:

On 2023-09-01, Default User wrote:

> Yes, it does require considerable space (no data de-duplication), and
> the rsync of the backup drives does take considerable time.  But to me,
> it is worth it, to avoid the methodological equivalent of "vendor lock-
> in".

You must have a bad configuration : rsnaphot de-duplicate using hard
links so you never have duplicated files. Keeping 52 weekly and 7 daily
and 24 hourly I need only 130% of original space. And it takes minimal
time as it transfers only changes and can use ssh compression.

It highly depends on the type of data that is being backed up.

For my regular user files, I think a file-based deduplication works OK. But for my VM images, hardlinks would only save space for those VMs which did not run between the current and the preceding backup.

Btw.: I am personally not using any hard-link based approach, mostly due to the missing encryption and integrity protection of data and metadata.

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö