Re: Wireless temperature & humidity measurement

Am Freitag, dem 14.07.2023 um 21:52 +0200 schrieb zithro:
On 14 Jul 2023 10:53, Joe wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:27:12 +0200
Bruno Kleinert <fuddl@debian.org> wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for a wireless way to measure temperature and humidity
indoor with hardware off the shelf and software included in Debian 12
bookworm.

Sensors --> Radio --> Receiver --> Any typical PC interface, e.g.,
USB, Ethernet.

I don't need a visual interface, but plan to process measured values
in shell scripts.

Do you have any hardware recommendations and can you share experience?

I use DS18B20 chips (1-wire protocol, nice for long distances cabling)
and some BME280s or MPL3115A2, plugged on Raspberry Pies.
The DS18B20 can be directly manipulated via sysfs, while the BMEs and
the MPL3115A2 need a software library to interpret the sensors output (I
use Adafruit's one, in python).

Since I had two DS18B20 1-wire sensors running, I had experience with that and liked its brain-dead simplicity to set up and use it. It seems to me, there's currently a shortage in availability in Germany's web shops. Also, some ready-to use sensors seemed expensive to me, so I put 1-wire technology on hold.

For testing puprosed I bought a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ and I decided for Raspberry Pi Zero WH's and DHT20 temperature and humidity sensors, which apparently is a newish I2C version of the DHTs, and can just be wired to Raspberry Pis' IC2 connectors without any additional resistors (My soldering skills got terribly rusty). I used i2cdetect of the i2c-tools package to detect controllers and sensors and to play around with the sensors' data I currently use https://github.com/cjee21/RPi-DHT20/tree/main (not in Debian 12 bookworm). I'd prefere to use i2cget to read sensor data, but didn't manage to get it working, yet.

Additionally I successfully can control a 4-relay board (controlled via 4 GPIOs) with gpioset of the gpiod package and I'm using a rain sensor (signalling via GPIO) as a water leakage sensor with gpioget and gpiomon from the gpiod package. I spontaneously decided to build a sprinkler system and currently wait for the magnet valves to arrive. I'm open to suggestions for a housing, as I didn't consider how to protect the electronics outside, yet.

Funnily, I got crazy how charmingly well the stock (plus the firmware packages from non-free and/or non-free-firmware) Debian 12 bookworm images work on both Raspberry Pi types. Thanks a lot Gunnar, I think! 👍️

Thanks to everyone responding in the thread for your hints and pointers!

Kind regards,
Bruno