Re: Please help with not booting from USB so to install Debian

On 10/6/23 00:22, Bret Busby wrote:
On 10/6/23 00:05, Bret Busby wrote:
On 9/6/23 23:34, Bret Busby wrote:
On 9/6/23 18:43, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

I want to install Debian on a new machine but don't manage to boot from USB stick.  (I can do so regularly with another machine, so the USB stick is ok and so is the Debian netinst I burned onto it.)  At the boot I press F9 and a menu appears where I can choose to boot from USB stick; but then it doesn't
so at all booting instead into Windows 11.  In BIOS I enabled the CSM
protocol but nothing.  Please help as I don't know what to do: thanks.

Now I tried with a CDROM instead of a USB stick but the problem remains.

Rodolfo

I asked before, and have not seen an answer.

Have you gone into the UEFI/BIOS, and turned off secure booting?

..
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
(UTC+0800)

You might want to read this;

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2023-June/310491.html

and, of course, after that procedure, in the system UEFI/BIOS, change the boot order to

USB drive
Optical (eg, DVD) drive (if the computer has one)
HDD

so that the computer should attempt to boot from the respective drives, in that order.

It occurred to me, after posting the above message, that I should have worded that last part, slightly differently, for clarification; the
"and, of course, after that procedure, in the system UEFI/BIOS, change
  the boot order to"

should have been

"and, of course, in that procedure, while still in the system UEFI/BIOS, between steps 2 and 3, change the boot order to".

I hope that all of this, is helpful, and, credit for success, should go to Liam.

..
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
(UTC+0800)

In this, since I last posted, I remembered that, on one of my computers, on which I installed Linux Mint, whilst the BIOS was set to boot first from the USB input, it would not, so, I simply wrote a copy of the iso file to a DVD, and, booted from the DVD drive, and, installed from the DVD drive, without any problem.

If the original poster has not yet been able to boot into a Linux iso file from the USB input, perhaps, providing the computer does have a DVD drive, the original poster could try the DVD method, and, tell us how successful that is.

..
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia