Re: Debian home page -> Download link broken:

> Using "stable" in your sources.list is idiotic, and you should not do
> it.  Ever.

I guess I'm an idiot, then.

I find it quite convenient because it says exactly what I want: I want
those machines to run Debian stable, whichever version that "stable"
happens to be at any particular time.

AFAIK it used to mean that they got upgraded automatically when a new
release was made, which worked fine for me.  Nowadays it's a bit
different because I get a message like:

    N: Repository 'http://deb.debian.org/debian stable InRelease' changed its 'Version' value from '11.7' to '12.0'
    E: Repository 'http://deb.debian.org/debian stable InRelease' changed its 'Codename' value from 'bullseye' to 'bookworm'
    N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.
    Do you want to accept these changes and continue updating from this repository? [y/N]

so I don't need to guess that there's a new release from the size of the
`apt full-upgrade`, it says it upfront, but other than that, it works
just as well.

This year, I actually knew that a new release was coming because I saw
announcements on the Fediverse and here, but many times in the past
I didn't, because it's not super important for me.  Using `stable` lets
me know there's a new release without having to read this section of
the news.

        Stefan