Re: Debian home page -> Download link broken:

On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 05:58:50AM -0400, songbird wrote:
> Tixy wrote:
> > On Sat, 2023-06-10 at 23:55 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> >> Debian's wiki says to use apt-get:
> >> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianUpgrade. Also see
> >> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/uptodate.html ;.
> >>
> >> Maybe it's time for a complete refresh of those documents.
> >
> > Or maybe the wiki page should be deleted, or just say go RTFM, i.e.
> > read the release notes for the release you want to upgrade to.
>
>   except that is a misconception for those who are running
> testing.  we're not upgrading to a new release.
>

>   songbird

Hi Songbird and all,

I may go and have a crack at editing the wiki pages in a few minutes.
Hint: Anybody with a wiki account can edit the wiki - it really is a wiki.

Release names and codenames:

This is a subject that has been fairly well explained over the years.
Debian 1.0 never actually got released - someone took pre-release links
and rebranded them as "Debian 1.0" for a CD release. At that time, Debian
took on the idea of release names to stop this happening again.

If you follow the release name in your /etc/apt/sources.list it will follow
a release from testing -> stable -> oldstable -> oldoldstable.

If you track "testing" (something which has been deprecated for a while)
then you must expect that it will change very unexpectedly on a release and
then large changes immediately after as everything else catches up with
being unfrozen.

Unstable is _always_ sid - the character in Toy Story who breaks things -
and you must expect major churn and random changes at short notice.

All best as ever,

Andy Cater