Re: Running Debian without initramfs?

On Thu, Jun 08, 2023 at 09:57:31PM +0100, James Addison wrote:

[...]

> Naturally a block device isn't a game cartridge - the former could
> contain many different operating systems, with the potential for
> dynamic resizing.  But it feels like we haven't landed on the simplest
> way to approximate the straightforward (and I think generally fairly
> efficient and safe) experience of choosing and loading game cartridges
> with boot configuration.  It's not a criticism of Debian per-se - we
> are following standards as opposed to setting them.

What you should consider is that this initramfs setup allows you to
pull the disk from your (possibly dead) computer and stuff it into
some other (with hopefully similar architecture) and you have at
least a fair chance that the thing will boot, because at initramfs
time some modules are magically available.

And even if things have changed a bit, you are dropped into a
command line where you may fix things.

Stuff like encrypted root partitions and similar are made much
easier this way, too.

Cheers