Re: Is perl still the No.1 language for sysadmin?

On Sun, Apr 2, 2023, 3:59 AM <coreyh@free.fr> wrote:
I saw many commands in /bin and /usr/bin are written by perl.
is perl still the first choice for sysadmin on linux?

I first wrote perl on unix/linux in 1991. The first python I wrote was about 10 years later. By that time the Redhat/fedora/CentOS distro had hundreds of thousands of lines of python thruout it. I built the perl interpreter from source on IBM mainframes by 1994.

Python is a more modern programming language than perl, and more in the European CS tradition. Larry Wall said directly that the OO features in perl were fake :-) because it was another fad. You can feel the difference in python. 3 styles you could code in python: old-fashioned procedural, functional like lisp, or modern OO.

Thanks.