Re: how to activate my wireless card? nmtui only shows wireless connections . . .

On Fri, Mar 03, 2023 at 06:09:40PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2023 at 05:45:54PM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > The 'p' is a pci bus, the 's' is a slot number. Since the interface
> > does not move around once installed, the interface will always have
> > the same name like 'enp4s0'.
>
> That's a wonderful idea, but it doesn't quite work in practice.  There are
> ways that a "predictable" interface name may change.  A BIOS/firmware
> upgrade can do it.  Adding or removing devices can also do it, in
> some cases.  They don't even have to be network interfaces.

And don't get us started with USB dongles, which are enumerated across
many and diverse hubs depending on your electricity supplier, moon phase
and all.

    "You're In A Maze Of Twisty Little Passages, All Alike"

Once I understood what this is doing, I decided that I have to watch
out with consistent interface names as I had to watch out with the
traditional ones: the more complex names I can't memorise don't buy
me much.

Then I decided to go back to traditional names. Luckily, that's an
option.

Cheers