Re: debian-user list info and guidelines (FAQ) - posted monthly

Hi,

On 2021-08-06 4:24 p.m., Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 12:25:52PM -0400, Polyna-Maude
> Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>> Actually, the message you sent would have been sent only to yourself in
>> the reply if I wouldn't have took the time to add the mailing list as CC.
>
> OK, let's explore why.
>
> According to your User-Agent header, you are using the MUA Thunderbird.
>
> According to the description you just wrote about the behaviour of
> replying, it would NOT have replied to the list, but directly to Tomas.
>
> That's because you have hit Thunderbird's "Reply" button (or keyboard
> shortcut, or menu entry), which is defined as "reply to sender".
>
> Thunderbird has a separate "reply to list" function. By default, you can
> see it in the list of actions if you right-click a list mail, or if you
> hit the keys CTRL + Shift + L. I *think* the "Reply all" button that
> normally appears turns into a "reply list" button, when the mail in
> question is a list message.

The "reply list" button was exactly in my face.
Just discovered it's existence.

I'll now use this one.

> You need to be using the separate "reply to list" function to send a
> reply to the correct place.
>
> In my opinion, it's awkward that there's a separate function and you
> have to remember to use it in some circumstances but not others. That's
> the default behaviour in my chosen MUA too (neomutt). However, I
> reconfigured neomutt so I had a single button to hit that always does
> the right thing. Perhaps, Thunderbird can be similarly configured to be
> more convenient in this regard. I don't know.
>
> There's one more caveat worth mentioning here, and it's to do with mail
> server stuff, rather than client. In some circumstances, such as when
I need to take some time to configure my own mail server as I'm now
using one rented on shared hosting.

I need a week-end off to do so. Been planning this for the last month.

But I'll probably use something like procmail and fetchmail, or another
list of similar tools.

I have one message where user on the list gave me pretty good hints on
how to get something functional.
But this take time to setup.

> somebody hits "reply all" or CCs you on a mail you get via a list
> anyway, you can get two copies of the mail. Since only one copy came via
> the list, only one copy has the List-* headers, and so Thunderbird's
> "reply to list" function will only work for the list copy. Worse, some
> mail server back-ends (for example Gmail, Exchange) de-duplicated copies
> of mail. Therefore, the one copy you might have (despite having been
> sent two) may not be the list copy either. If that affects you, all I
> can suggest is looking for a better mail provider. But, we can all help
> each other by not CCing people when replying to them on-list. Which is
> why I have that in my mail signature.

Thanks

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside