Re: Updating kernels impossible when /boot is getting full

Paul Duncan wrote:
> Hmmm... Thats a little annoying.
>
> Maybe try removing the -22 image manually, like this:
>
> apt-get remove linux-image-5.11.0-22

  if that is the kernel that is being run then you risk
putting your system into a completely unbootable state (if
the upgrade failed that means the new kernel is not yet
installed).

> See if that works. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what else to try - other
> than a re-install - at which I would make /boot a little bigger :-)
>
> I'm sure others more knowledgeable than me will chime in with ideas too.

  as it is an Ubuntu system i don't have any certain ideas
adding the complexity of it being encrypted makes it worse
as i don't have any experience with those either.

  if you continue with what i've written below you are in
what i considered uncharted territory.  use at your own
risk.  with backups and recovery plan that is known to
work.

  i know what i would do on my system:

  1. make sure i have a backup of /boot and /
  2. make sure i have a working boot medium with the tools i
     would need to fix things if /boot or / are broken
  3. make sure i'm running the previous kernel (uname -a )
  4. remove the attempted broken upgrade from /boot
  5. pin the kernel version at the one that is completely installed
  6. reboot to make sure that all worked and i have a bootable
     system and am running the right kernel version
  7. merge /boot and / keeping only /boot/efi on it's own partition
     - set up a temp dir on /
     - copy /boot/* to it
       - remove efi from that and make sure it is still on /boot/efi
     - change /etc/fstab to reflect these changes
     - unmount /boot and then rename the temp dir on / as /boot
     - reboot to make sure i've not broken something

   8. if that comes up then you should have a way forward by
      unpinning kernel and attempting upgrade again

  songbird