Re: ntp questions

On Sunday 15 March 2020 10:07:42 Tixy wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-03-15 at 08:37 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > BTW for controlling gadgets and machines I think that boards such as
> > the Pyboard, the Teensies (Sparkfun) and the Feathers (Adafruit) may
> > be much more suitable than the Pi.  These boards have control/DSP
> > oriented processors and lots of I/O instead of graphics and HDMI.
>
> Sounds sensible, however I believe Gene needs graphics as well for the
> CNC software's GUI; at least from what I've gathered over the years of
> him trying to get realtime kernels working on the Pi as well as
> propriety graphics. Personally, I've always though such a design
> architecture is totally bonkers, why isn't GUI and machine control
> completely separate things. But that's not Gene's fault, it's the
> software designers.

It can be split up, is a hassle but that needs 10GB ethernet, which I
don't have.  Somewhere in the path to the shed and garage, in a sea of
gigabit stuff, is a 100Mbit limit. Probably an older switch. And decent
gigabit switches seem to have dried up in the local market. What I have
works flawlessly, but still somewhat slow. And at 85, with a spare parts
list beginniing to look like Lee Majors, I know I am approaching the end
of my run here. But I'll also say its been one hell of a ride.  I've
made that guy with the scythe blink first twice now. A very enjoyable
feeling.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis