Re: trying to get the ethernet card working on a Dell Latitude

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 11:27:05 -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> On Saturday 03 June 2006 05:22 am, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > > when i do 'ifconfig eth0' i get 'eth0: error fetching interface
> > > information: Device not found.'

[...]

> Florian,
>
> following are the results of the shell commands. note that i had to transcribe
> them from the dell screen to my system, since the dell has no communication
> capabilities as yet. thus the lower case throughout.
>
> # lspci -v |awk '{IGNORECASE=1};/net|modem|firewire/,/^$/'
> 0000:00:10.0 communication controller: lucent microelectronics WinModem 56k
> (rev 01)
> Subsystem: actiontec electronics inc: unknown device 2000
> flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, irq 11
> memory at f3ffdc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
> i/o ports at dcd8 [size=8]
> i/o ports at d400 [size=256]
> capabilities: [f8] power management version 2

That looks like there is no ethernet card detected, only a (mostly useless)
winmodem. According to this site:

http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~mader/c600.html#lspci

you should have something like

0000:00:10.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c556 Hurricane CardBus [Cyclone] (rev 10)

> #ls -l /sys/class/net/
> ls: /sys/class/net/: no such file or directory

That is normal for a 2.4 series kernel, I think.

> #ip link
> 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue
>    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00

Again, no sign of an ethernet device.

> also, i was wrong about the kernel version in my first post. correct version
> is 2.4.7, though i can also boot with 2.6 if needs be.

The fact that the ethernet controller does not show up with "lspci"
could indeed mean that it is broken or that someone took it out. I would
try to boot with a new Knoppix CD and then run "lspci" and "ip link"
again. If that cannot find the device then it might be time to send the
laptop for repair, or to buy a simple pcmcia ethernet card if you do not
have warranty anymore. (I have no experience with such cards myself, but
I am sure that someone on this list can recommend a good one if you
ask.)

It might also be a good idea to go through all the bios settings and
look out for anything which might be related to the ethernet card.

--
Regards,
          Florian