Re: LAN

On 6/1/06, Francesco Pietra <frapietra@alice.it> wrote:
My system consists of two machines, one running debian 32 testing and equipped
with KDE, the other one amd64 debian testing with no GUI (undesired) and only
X-system and window manager twm.  Both operated by single user.

Both are connected ADSL through to a common 4-port router Zyxel Prestige 660H.

I would be grateful for suggestions  as to where to look for directions as to
exchanging files through the router between the two machines from terminal
window commands.

Most common tasks include internet downloading with 32 and passing files to
64, as well as performing calculations at 64 and passing results to 32.
Obvious requests.

Thanks a lot for indications.

francesco pietra

As others suggested, scp (part of ssh) or nfs is the way to go. You could use
ftp, but it is insecure. On the other hand, it doesn't matter so much when both
machines are behind the router/firewall.

As far as one machine being 32 bit and one being 64 bit, it doesn't make any
difference for regular data files.

An x86-64 executable file or library would not run on a x86-32 machine, but
a 32 bit executable or library can work on x86-64 (in compatibility mode).