Quake 2 and glx/mga

Has anyone got Quake 2 to work with recent glx/mga CVS? Q3:A demo
works well (and very quickly) on my G400, but Quake 2 doesn't even
run.

Running /usr/games/quake2 +set vid_ref glx +set gl_driver libGL.so
loads Quake 2, and just before switching to ref_soft mode, it
complains that it can't load libGL.so (which is in /usr/X11R6/lib).
Switching back to VC7 (X), the X server is kind of screwed - it
doesn't register mouseclicks in any window other than the one the
pointer was on when I ran Quake 2 - and it acts as if the left button
is held down - moving the pointer around the aforementioned window
drags a selection (if it's an Eterm or Netscape, for example).

Is this a bug in the quake2[-bin] package or glx, or is it possibly my
configuration? Has anyone else suffered the same problems?
--
alisdair mcdiarmid                                alisdair@wasters.org
[the day is done but i'm having fun i think i'm dumb maybe just happy]