Re: chat bugs

> I'm still unsuccessfully fighting my chat problems reported over 2 weeks
> ago. [snip]

> Then the chatscript sends a character over the line, and hopelessly waits for
> the reply (a login prompt): just as if the line beyond the modem was cut.

Some ISPs require you to type a couple of carriage returns before they'll give
you a prompt.  To do this, put "\d\r\d\r\d\r" as the first send string.  A
single character may not be enough.

> If I had courage, I would rewrite a chat clone in Perl...  But this problem
> has cost me about 15h playing around during the last weeks, and my faith in
> myself and debian is declining...

Don't blame Debian for this, chat is simply flaky, and always has been, as far
as I can tell.  I used to use chat with MachTen, a Unix for the Mac, and had
very similar problems.  I can pretty much guarantee that chat won't work any
better with any other system.

I was having lots of trouble with chat, and am still meaning to fix it when I
have time.  Meanwhile, I looked at the source, and noticed a couple of buffers
that seemed awfully small.  I increased their size from 50 to 5000 characters,
and I haven't had any trouble with chat for a few days now.  So maybe that
worked, though I haven't looked at the code carefully enough to even know what
these buffers are for.

-Randy
--
http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~gobbel/

NOTICE: I DO NOT ACCEPT UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL EMAIL MESSAGES OF ANY KIND.  I
CONSIDER SUCH MESSAGES PERSONAL HARRASSMENT AND A GROSS INVASION OF MY
PRIVACY.  By sending unsolicited commercial advertising/solicitations (or