Re: Latex/Tex / dpkg remark

> dixit farman.cac.psu.edu:
>
>   > Hello folks:
>   >
>   > As many of you folks might be aware, the binaries for the latex LaTeX2e
>   > release were uploaded to sunstite about a week ago.
>   >
>   > IT installs everything in /usr/TeX which is in accordance to the CTAN folks
>   > I am not sure if this follows the FSSTND.

>From the 02/13/94 FSSTND:

"Any large packages (such as TeX and GNU Emacs) should not use a subdirectory
of /usr. Instead, there should be a subdirectory inside /usr/lib, or
/usr/local/lib (if it was installed totally locally)."

So the answer to your question: no, it doesn't follow the FSSTND. Keep in
mind that /usr is for sharable data and should be capable of being mounted
or exported read-only, which means that any lockfiles or other variable
stuff should be coded to go outside /usr (i.e. /var/lock, etc.).

jonathan