Re: Code of Conduct violations handling process

On 9/4/14, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Piotr Ożarowski writes ("Re: Code of Conduct violations handling process"):
>> Some people want(ed) to codify in CoC other political correctness
>> "things" that I don't agree with. I like our current CoC and I don't
>> want to change it.
>
> Neil Gaiman writes:
>
>   I was reading a book (about interjections, oddly enough) yesterday
>   which included the phrase `In these days of political correctness...'
>   talking about no longer making jokes that denigrated people for their
>   culture or for the colour of their skin. And I thought, `That's not
>   actually anything to do with `political correctness'. That's just
>   treating other people with respect.'
>
>   Which made me oddly happy. I started imagining a world in which we
>   replaced the phrase `politically correct' wherever we could with
>   `treating other people with respect', and it made me smile.
>
>   You should try it. It's peculiarly enlightening.

I enjoy blonde jokes. I'm blonde.

I enjoy female jokes, and male jokes.
My gender does not stop me from enjoying either.

I am caucasian, and yet I enjoy Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music,
and Sgt. Slick - White Treble, Black Bass.

I am totally clueless as to whether I am officially racist,
bigotted, sexist or any or none of these; it's too complicated
and I don't give a flying firetruck!

But I have empathy for those who are distraught, distressed
or otherwise in need of some TLC. Our humanity demands
that we consider one another, when genuine needs are apparent.
To not do so is offensive to me.

So, informed consent probably needs more than simplistic
ratings.
Perhaps a specific listing of potentially objectionable anything;
let's have our informed consent cake and eat it too - let's live an
abundance of informed consent.

Warning, this talk/presentation contains communication or may
contain expressions including:
- sex
- rape
- gore
- pedophilia
- bestiality
- war
- racism
- sexism
- crude jokes
- jokes around minority bashing
- claims of FSF zealot's' bigotry

and of course, no need to limit ourselves to just this list.

May be have legs?
Zenaan