[luther@debian.org: Re: "weird" naming convention for ocamlbuild executables]

----- Forwarded message from Sven Luther <luther@debian.org> -----

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 07:12:42 +0200
From: Sven Luther <luther@debian.org>
To: Nicolas Pouillard <nicolas.pouillard@gmail.com>
Cc: debian-ocaml-maint@lists.debian.org, Nicolas.Pouillard@inria.fr,
	Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>
Subject: Re: "weird" naming convention for ocamlbuild executables

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 02:32:16PM +0200, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> >This would allow to try somehow embedding the version number in the
> >ocaml executables too, and so allow full parallel installation of ocaml
> >packages.
> >

> I would also like that parallel installation of ocaml (to ensure
> correctness of dependencies, and maximize availability of packages).

Well, we install the libraries into /usr/lib/ocaml/<version> (and search
in /usr/local/lib/ocaml/<version> for hand-compiled stuff). The only
problem which stopped us from going full transparency, where the actual
binaries (ocamlc and co), where it was not trivial to modify the build
to actually embedd the version in them.

ocamlc-<version> would be a solution, similar to what we have seen in
gcc packages, but putting them in /usr/bin/ocaml/<version> would be
another solution. I prefer the gcc-like version myself, i think.

While we are at modifying these kind of things, making the build system
cross-compielr friendly would be a great thing (especially for
linux->windows cross compilation :).

Friendly,

Sven Luther

----- End forwarded message -----