Re: Installing rpms and debs

Brandon Fogerty wrote:
I want to install SDL Development Libraries so I did,

root@linux_laptop:/home/bfogerty/projects/c++/sdl_test# apt-get install
libsdl1.2debian-all
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package libsdl1.2debian-all is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
 libsdl1.2debian-esd libsdl1.2debian-alsa libsdl1.2debian-nas
 libsdl1.2debian-arts libsdl1.2debian-oss
E: Package libsdl1.2debian-all has no installation candidate

Any ideas?

Well, from your previous post:

knoppix is based on debian, but knoppix is not debian.
It's a good live distro and it's a good starting point for an installation. Using knoppix as a debian installation and installing and upgrading from debian archives you are bound to have problems like the one above.

If you want to use debian and install software from debian archives, there is no better solution as to install debian - plain debian. It'll probably be more effort to set it up (compared to just entering a knoppix cd), but you will have a stable distribution for years to come.

Just my 2ct.
Johannes