Re: Dlink DWL-G650 with madwifi

Also sprach Meike Reichle <mrei0999@rz.uni-hildesheim.de> (Sun, 22 May
2005 13:44:46 +0200):
> Marcel said/sagte:
>
> > You must bring down eth0 to use ath0.
>
> I did that.

you have to choose how net access will go on your laptop. check out
tools like ifplugd and others. they can help you to automagic choose the
right interface when a cable is plugged in or an specific accesspoint is
in range. with the right options/configuration.

$ apt-cache search laptop network
$ apt-cache show ifplugd

use /etc/network/interfaces to assign an ipaddress and network to your
ath0, the route will be set automagically if hotplug (see
/etc/default/hotplug) finds your atheros plugged in:

<snip>
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

# NE2000 DLINK
# static routing using home gateway - cardmgr takes care
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.2.52
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.2.0
        broadcast 192.168.2.255
        gateway 192.168.2.50

# WIRELESS
# static routing using home gateway - hotplug takes care
iface ath0 inet static
        address 192.168.2.52
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.2.0
        broadcast 192.168.2.255
        gateway 192.168.2.50
        wireless_mode managed
        wireless_channel 1
        wireless_essid XXXXXX
        wireless_key XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

</snip>

read the interfaces and hotplug manpages about the auto flag. above is
my network - yours sure looks something different. my eth0 is a pcmcia
card  which is handled by the cardmanager (cardmgr). i seldom have
plugged in both, and if i do, i have to set my route by hand:

route add -net 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 ath0

man route.

sl ritch