Re: mobile phone & linux

You can do what I've done - I own a sonyericsson t68i cellphone, and just
yesterday broke down and used gprs over irda to my pda to download affix
for my laptop so I could use a usb-bluetooth adapter to use gprs over my
cellphone (through, of course, the laptop).  It was a painful experience
(mainly because the ir port on my pda seems to suck heh) but I have to
admit it's quite convenient.  I know companies that make bluetooth cf
cards, and they should be of a reasonable form factor and support to work
in both pda and laptop.  Personally, however, I was unimpressed by GPRS's
speeds, maybe I just had bad signal - but I never broke 7Kbps - so, about
modem speed (albeit a GOOD modem connection) ... I was under the
impression it was going to max out at about 2x modem speed.

More and more cellphones these days are getting bluetooth (and, sadly,
fewer and fewer are keeping irda) - so this is a reasonable thing to look
for - especially in gsm phones (states or abroad).  I'd look into the
internet available through voicestream and the likes though, cdma2000
might be faster speeds 'for the now' - dunno which technology overall is
better, only time or market conditions can tell that I suppose.

Unfortunately, I suppose this investment amounts to new cellphone + $60
bluetooth cf card - so you're looking at LEAST $110 or so, and that's
assuming new service activation rebates.... hmmm they need to make a gprs
cf card, the simms really are fairly tiny, although I suppose they would
take up valuable antennae room - but plenty of CF cards stick out past the
slot (not that we like it) such as 802.11b cards.

On a side note - it takes a certain level of dedication/depravation to
download files over gprs through your pda and copy and compile them on
your laptop just to get internet - stupid storm here in Memphis knocked
out our power for a good 6 days (just got it back).  I was glad for the
motivation to finally get bluetooth working on my laptop, but I would have
enjoyed it more if I wasn't sitting in a quiet library when it finally
worked - it's just less satisfying when you can't stand up and scream

-Martin