Re: Newbie help / Project status query

Jason Williams wrote:

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 02:45:24PM +0100, Fabbione wrote:

That is also true but at the moment to be hounest it still not that urgent (atleast from my point of view)

Perhaps not yet, but given the slow cycle of debian releases, by the time
sid goes stable it may well be of more importance. I think by that time
debian should be aiming for a smooth, well-integrated, plug&play IPv6 system
*by default*.

I fully agree on this point. It is pretty annoying that you need to fetch basic pkgs like netkit-inetd from another location while it could be integrated in main 100%.

Is anything actually happening to move towards that? It's quite possible it
is and I've just failed to notice it, because I'm just a newcomer (although
I've been lurking on this list for a while). I'd like to do whatever I can
to help.

Cheers :-)

I need to check if it is possible to load the ipv6 module during the boot-floppies installation but Im pretty sure it is. The kernel should be able to "autoconfigure" ipv6 if an ipv6 router is present on the network so "theoretically" only few changes might be needed to make everything working smoothly... (probably only dns and manual configuration.. but the code for the last one shouldn't be that complicate since the "old" code for ipv4 can be adapted).

I will take a look to it... I start to get curios if I can install debian from ipv6 directly.... maybe some hack here and there.... who knows :))))))

--
Debian GNU/Linux Unstable Kernel 2.4.13
fabbione on irc.atdot.it #coredump #kchat | fabbione@fabbione.net