Re: The future of mipsel port

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 12:45:51PM +0800, YunQiang Su wrote:
> Hi, folks,
>
> Welcome to era of Trixie, and let's talk about the future of mipsel.

> So I consider to suggest drop mipsel support from the list of official ports.
> (And let's keep mips64el port).

I am late to the party but as i mentioned a couple times on debian-mips
already i'd like to keep mipsel as a debian-port - and i'd like to
revert away from mips32r2 back to mips2/mips3 - That change (with
stretch) basically dropped all of the supported platforms formerly
supported without a good reason - mips32r2 cpus would have been
able to run mips2 code. The now supported platforms are
basically non existent or available for the normal user.

So with that change we basically killed 90% of the Debian/mipsel
users/community e.g. Siemens RM series, Cobalt Cube/RAQ, Decstation R4k
and the like which are now all stuck with pre-Stretch Debian Releases.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                     f@zz.de