Re: No Advanced Options item in the list / No expert Mode available

On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 at 12:32, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2022 at 12:13:06PM +0200, Simon B wrote:
> >
> >For previous versions of the installer, I have always had the options referred
> >to here:
> >
> >With Bullseye, either https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/
> >iso-hybrid/ or https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/
> >cd-including-firmware/current-live/, I do not.
> >
> >This would not be a problem if these instructions (https://www.debian.org/
> >releases/wheezy/amd64/ch06s01.html.en) included a clue as to WHERE to use the
> >expert command.
> >

> >    If your hardware requires you to pass options to kernel modules as they are
> >    installed, you will need to start the installer in “expert” mode. This can
> >    be done by either using the expert command to start the installer or by
> >    adding the boot argument priority=low. Expert mode gives you full control
> >    over debian-installer
>
> Apologies, those instructions document our separate installer
> images. The live images don't offer quite the same set of menus, and
> one of the the missing options is "expert mode".

Thanks also to Holger for pointing this out - that was indeed it (I
have mostly always used the live images in the last 10 years and
obviously seldom needed the expert option and just never noticed it
was missing).

> >#debian-install --expert did not do it...
>
> If you add "priority=low" as a command line option to an installer
> boot option, that's what "expert mode" does.

Just for clarity, you mean pressing 'e' and changing the line to:

linux /live/vmlinuz-5.10 boo=live blah blah
linux /live/vmlinuz-5.10 boo=live priority=low blah blah

Right?

Thanks.

Simon