From: Mateusz Viste <mateusz@viste.fr>
Sent: Tuesday, 25 October 2022 6:55 PM
To: gopher-project@other.debian.org <gopher-project@other.debian.org>
Subject: Re: State of Gopher and TLS?

On 25/10/2022 10:36, Hiltjo Posthuma wrote:
> Here you can find some information about TLS over gopher.
> It doesn't violate the gopher specification:
> gopher://bitreich.org/0/usr/20h/phlog/2020-06-07T18-28-23-863932.md

RFC 1436 is clear about the fact that Gopher is a simple, text-based TCP
protocol. One extract below, but there are more:

   In essence, the Gopher protocol consists of a client connecting to a
   server and sending the server a selector (a line of text, which may
   be empty) via a TCP connection.

Feel free to call the TLS contraption "gophers" or whatever else, but it
is not Gopher.

The document you linked to proposes a way of implementing dual protocol
support so a server can act simultaneously as a Gopher and "gophers"
server sharing the same port. It does not mean that "gophers" is
compatible with the Gopher protocol. A Gopher client is unable to access
"gophers" content, unless said content is also available via Gopher.

Mateusz
gopher://gopher.viste.fr