Re: debugging apt-get

On 2022-10-18 03:42, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
Quoting Stefan Seefeld (2022-10-18 00:19:53)
Allow me to come back to this question: What determines what is
considered a "candidate", and what constraints exist around the concept
? Why do I get an installation error when trying to install a package
that depends on an older (as in: not latest) version of a prerequisite
package ?
Of each package, the candidate version is picked using the pin priority and its
version. Higher pin and higher version wins. Apt will not consider
non-candidate versions for its solution. If you want this feature, use a
different solver backend (like aspcud) or a different frontend (like aptitude).

This is very useful to know indeed; thanks for confirming that ! Are these limitations (apt-get only considering latest versions as candidates, say) documented anywhere ? I'm puzzled why it took me so long to learn this !

And more generally: is there any documentation that gives an overview of the APT architecture, in particular focusing on the rules that may be imposed on dependency resolution at different levels (frontend, backend, ...) ?

Thanks,

Stefan

null