Re: Mergeback of apt-transport-tor into apt?

On Sat, Aug 06, 2016 at 01:17:37AM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 06:08:26PM +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> > So, assuming we can agree on that this is in general a good idea, this
> > would leave apt-transport-tor relatively empty (expect three symlinks,
> > a depends on apt and a recommends on -https & tor) but perhaps this
> > frees resources for a-t-t to gain an option to turn all sources into
> > tor+http(s) [with debconf] or even .onion addresses, additional
> > documentation… instead of diverting energy into maintaining an -https
> > fork.
>

> I'd prefer shipping the symlinks in apt itself, so it can be easily
> used with an external tor proxy by just setting Acquire::tor::Proxy.

Shipping tor+http in apt and tor+https in apt-transport-https would be
possible of course, but I kinda hope that a separate -tor package
shipping (tor+http) and recommending (a-t-https for tor+https) allows
for better/easier integration:

The switching of sources entries is one thing, documenting certain
gotchas another: #749611 e.g. could be "solved" by using two (or more)
different mirrors one with [lang=none] and the other with
[targets=Translations] so that while you still leak the l10n you use,
its at least via a different circuit (assuming my change) – you really
want to "solve" this via .onion through, but not every repository in
existence is available in this way.

And just as an other example as that is a much more lowhanging fruit:
I would like the -tor package to disable the http transport by default
so a user can't forget to use tor+http for sources (added months later
in the middle of the night) – I was thinking about http being an alias
for tor+http if its installed, but that feels like a bit too much magic
to be the default (especially considering that other tools extract URIs
from apt and might or might not support/use tor).

Haven't even tried it yet, but I would envision Dir::Bin::methods::http
to be set to false to disable it – or in the opposite direction:
Dir::Bin::methods::tor+http=http causing apt to call the http method
with argv[0] == "tor+http" which would eliminate the need for an
explicit symlink and would allow a user to get tor without installing
tor/apt-transport-tor at the expense of loosing integration… mhh.
/me wanders of trying to implement this.

> apt-transport-tor also depends on tor ...

I in the quote (and two bugreports) think it should be recommends for
exactly this external tor case (also previous paragraph).

So, while I started out with a "shallow it" approach I think it could be
benefitial to keep it a separate package for now – assuming of course we
can get someone interested in working on the integration/doc parts.

Thinking into the blue here, but if we move the source package under the
deity@ umbrella and deal with the technical aspects in src:apt that
could be a nice package to contribute to from a newcomer/non-coder
perspective… (yes, I know, I am prune to wishful thinking…).

Best regards

David Kalnischkies