apt-get download keep resetting

Hi everybody,

(I hope this is the correct apt-get mailing list)
I would like to know if there is a way to prevent apt-get from
resetting downloads.
In fact, I'm trying to download openarena-data and alien-arena-data
(280 MiB each)
overnight while unattended under a 56Kbits/sec connection (that would
be 30 hours
of ininterrupted download each otherwise).

Therefore, I'm actually trying to "apt-get -dy upgrade" and it works,
except for extra huge
packages such as the aforementioned two: the download works the first
night, resumes
the second... then resets the third :S .

Yet, I tried the following without success:
1- apt-get update before every apt-get upgrade;
2- Only apt-get update upon successful completion of apt-get upgrade;
3- Change the default apt::maxAge (or something) configuration from
86400 to 604800 (but
as per the manpage, this only affects the index files);

The system running the apt-get program in question is Kubuntu 8.04
Hardy Heron rather
than Debian. I know, I should ask the Ubuntu team rather than posting
to Debian mailing list,
but the fact is I did. In fact, I searched the local manpages, the
Web, asked the Ubuntu forums
website, asked the Ubuntu mailing-list, searched a bit on debian
website(s), search the local
/usr/share/doc repository, all up to no avail. Still, if there's any
difference between Debian's apt-get
and Ubuntu's apt-get, feel free to tell me you can't help me, can't
reproduce the bug or whatever,
I'd understand.

I can't be much more specific as I more or less can't post from the
aforementioned Kubuntu system
(I'm at work running Slackware 12.1 actually).

Thank you for your attention,
Olivier D.