BTS cleaning status

Hi,

After the recent discussion on debian-devel about BTS cleaning and so, I
thought it might be a good time to report the status of my XSF BTS
cleaning (maybe somebody wants to jump in and synchronize with me...).

1) old packages

The original plan was to look at very old bugs. So I started with
xserver-xfree86. I don't have exact numbers, but about 320 bugs got
closed. I would say 60% because of ping timeout (about 4 weeks) or
invalid address, 15% because the submitter didn't have the hardware
anymore, and 25% because the problem was actually gone.

While waiting for the submitters to reply to my pings, I started pinging
other packages, from the old ones to the newers. Apart from a couple
pings that are still pending, the following old xfree86 related packages
are now bug-free: xfree86, xfree86-common, xserver-common, xlibmesa-dri,
xlibmesa-gl, xlibmesa-glu, x-window-system, x-window-system-core. Once I
will have reassigned most of the remaining xserver-xfree86 bugs (about
30) to xorg packages, we should be pretty close to have nothing
"<=sarge"-specific anymore.

2) wishlists

There are still a lot of wishlists, especially against xserver-xfree86.
Several are related to debconf, which is supposed to go away after Etch.
I would be great if people with more knowledge than me could give a
quick look at the others and tag some as wontfix. For most of these  old
wishlists, I miss some background to decide between wontfix or reassign
to xorg :(

3) packages' status

The following packages have been pingued and are waiting for the timeout
to arrive:
xserver-xfree86
xlibmesa-gl-dev
xlibs
xutils
mesa-utils
mesa libgl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglu1-mesa libosmesa4
libx11 libx11-6 libx11-data libx11-dev
libxaw7
libxft2
xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-base
xfonts-cyrillic
xfonts-encodings
xfonts-scalable
xfs
xnest
xutils-dev
xvfb
xdm

The following (non-exhaustive list) packages are clean (I mean, no more
obsolete or irrelevant bug, but possibly still some valid bugs):
Most libs
The mesa packages that are not listed above

The following ones are almost clean, except some very simple bugs that
are easy to fix (see below):
twm
libxft-dev
xresprobe
xcursor-themes
xfonts-100dpi

The following packages are still to do, I will start pinging them next
week, doing the non-Xorg-related packages first:
xkb-data
xfonts-utils
xbase-clients
x11-common
libdrm*
libxvmc*
xkeyboard-config
xorg
xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-input-*
xserver-xorg-video-*
x11-proto*
xorg-docs
compiz*
(I hope I didn't miss anything)

Looking at the BTS of a package and searching for "Done: Brice Goglin"
is usually a good way to know whether I worked on a package or not...

4) summary

To summarize, within the last 2 months, I think about 500 bugs got
closed. I expect to close more than 100 with the current pending pings.
And hopefully 300 more with the packages that are still to-do. So we
should be able to go under 1000 outstanding bugs then...

About 20 bugs have been forwarded upstream. I could probably forward
much more bugs, but I don't want upstream to hate me :)

About 20 bugs are in my bookmarks, marked as "trivial stuff to commit in
git". I know how to commit simple stuff in git. But, I am still pretty
afraid of creating an experimental branch or updating it with a new
upstream release. So basically, I am waiting a little bit in case
somebody does the branch update for me :)

If there's something I should change in the way I am doing all this,
please let me know.

Brice