Re: xserver-xfree86 replacing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 08:52:43PM -0400, David N Kordonowy wrote:
> When upgrading X, xserver-xfree86 replaces my/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file
> even though it has been modified by me.  My /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is a
> link to another file (in this case it is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.sun).
> The package xserver-xfree86 replaces this link with its file, thus
> breaking X.
>
> Is this normal behavior for packages or is this simply a result of my
> nontypical setup?

Have you read the very top of the generated XF86Config-4 file?

### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
# Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make changes
# before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after the
# "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.
#
# To change things within the debconf section, run the command:
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
# as root.  Also see "How do I add custom sections to a dexconf-generated
# XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file?" in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz.

In what way does the above not make the situation clear?

This behavior is controlled by a debconf question:

Template: xserver-xfree86/manage_config_with_debconf
Type: boolean
Default: true
 The /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, which contains the configuration information
 for the XFree86 version 4 X server, can be handled automatically by debconf,
 or manually by you.
 .
 Note that only specific, marked sections of the configuration file will be
 handled by debconf if you select this option; if those markers are absent,
 the configuration file will not be updated automatically, and you will have
 to update the file manually, or move or delete the file.

To shut this off, "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86".

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    If a man ate a pound of pasta and a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    pound of antipasto, would they