Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 09:07:45PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >> Sven LUTHER <luther@debian.org> writes:
>
>  > > The XF86Config file is not a conffile.  Read the XF86Config 4.x manpage,
>  > > and you'll see there is no conflict.
>
>  > Well if i install the 3.3.6 X server, it will read its configuration
>  > file from /etc/X11/XF86Config, and the 4.0.1 X server will read his
>  > from the exact same location. And The XF86Config format is _NOT_ the
>  > same for both versions. Thus you run into problems if you want ot
>  > have XF4.0.1 and XF3.3.6 installed in the same time.
>
>  Please DO read the manpage.  There is NO conflict (it will become clear
>  IFF you read the manpage).  Last weekend I was testing a rather bad
>  scenario (all sorts of mixing of clients, servers and libraries) and as
>  far as I could see, everything works -- except, of course, stuff using
>  features only found in XFree86 4.0.

Yes, i did read it now, ...

that is what comes from reading stuff in the various stages of developpment,
they change all the time :(((

>  > Ok, but you will be packaging the X server + the X libraries + all
>  > the standard X apps that come with it (well twm, xterm and such). I
>  > see i need to be much more precise with my postings to you, so
>  > therfor i will name this whole stuff the "X stuff", so there is no
>  > confusion.
>
>  ROTFL! (It was a joke, wasn't it?)

Well in part, what i don't understand is why branden keeps yelling on me that
i don't understand the difference between server and client, when the xf4
debian packages include both, and thus both (and the libraries) have to be
thought of when doing the packaging ?

>  > Now imagine i have the 3.3.6 server installed (which don't know about
>  > the new location of the app-default stuff you spoke about in your
>  > mail)
>
>  Read chapters 2 and 10 (IIRC) of the documentation shipped with XFree86
>  4.0.  app-defaults are not server side.

But when you install the 3.3.6 server, it will pull in the 3.3.6
xfree86-common, which will not have the symlink installed. Now you install an
4.0.1 app, and it could install app-defaults into /etc/X11/app-defaults.

Now you have two situation :

  1) only the app will ever be reading it's app-defaults, and thus we have no
     problem whatsoever, the symlink is not really needed, apart from giving
     the user a uniform location to change his app-defaults.

  2) There is some other tool that modify/read the app-defaults, and thus
     this tool needs be aware of the location of it. Again, it could be
     looking in both places and do the job for us, no symlink needed.

That said, does such a tool exist ? and more importantly, since upstream ships
with a symlink, just let's put it in place, the important thing is that no
debian package should install its app-default in the wrong location.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER