Re: gtk-gnutella

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:47:35 +1100
Anand Kumria <wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As per the discussion previously I've uploaded a version of
> gtk-gnutella  to volatile a few days ago.
>
> How will I know once it has been compiled for every stable
> architecture?
>
> Thanks,
> Anand

Hello,

for me it seems that gtk-gnutella has been unusable in sarge for some
days - I am behind a firewall without port-forwarding. Some
days ago, I got the following message forcing me to edit its
configuration-file:
----snip-------
*** ANCIENT VERSION DETECTED! ***

Sorry, this program is too ancient to run without
an explicit user action: please edit the file

        /home/user/.gtk-gnutella/config_gnet

and set the variable "ancient_version_force" to
"gtk-gnutella/0.95 (2004-11-27; GTK2; Linux i686)".

You will then be able to run this version forever, but
please consider upgrading, as Gnutella is an evolving
network, where ancient versions are less performant, if
not harmful!

*** EXITING ***
Even after editing, I am not able to use it as I was two weeks ago.
Seems it is not able to connect to any peer.
Maybe this is a good reason for Anands Version to be available in
volatile soon.
Thanks,
Markus