Re: Regression in Radeon driver in latest Debian Stable kernel

On 17 May 2024 00:12 +0700, from manikulin@gmail.com (Max Nikulin):
> Be realistic, to get the bug fixed, there should be affected persons
> motivated enough to try vanilla kernel or even to build custom kernels with
> provided patches. Developers time is limited and expensive resource. It may
> be directed to fixing other bugs. If you can compare Debian and upstream
> kernels you may get the issue fixed quicker. Direct communication with
> driver developers may be more effective.

Indeed; that's why I suggested trying the vanilla kernels of the same
versions, compiled with the same options, and seeing if the behavior
can be reproduced with those. If the same behavior as seen with the
Debian-packaged kernels can be reproduced with the vanilla kernel,
that would very strongly suggest that whatever this is is either (a)
an upstream issue in the kernel, or (b) not a kernel issue at all.
There's a reason why many upstream maintainers, when faced with a bug
report for a downstream potentially modified version of their code,
will start by saying "try our version".

Adding to the "be realistic", if the issue was an obvious one, it
likely never would have made it into a released kernel at all. So
whatever this is about is unlikely to be obvious. Thus some detective
work is most likely going to be needed; and unless a kernel developer
can reproduce the problem on their own hardware, they'll probably have
to ask you to try things out and report back; whether with debug logs,
more detailed system information, or as Max mentioned building a
kernel with a proposed fix to see what effect, if any, a proposed fix
has on the problem.

Also, especially if you start installing backports kernels as well,
you may want to add a version pin to the kernel you currently have
installed and which does not exhibit the problem to the same degree,
to reduce the risk that it gets purged for being among the older ones
you have installed.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”