Re: Zutty fonts - zutty always uses the same font and fontsize

In days of yore (Wed, 01 May 2024), Richmond thus quoth:
> I am puzzled by the zutty terminal emulator. I have tried:
>
>  1186  zutty -fontpath /usr/share/fonts/X11/ -fontsize 20
>  1187  zutty -fontpath /usr/share/fonts/X11/ -font adobe
>  1190  zutty -fontpath /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/ -fontsize 20
>  1191  zutty -fontpath /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/ -fontsize 24
>  1192  zutty -fontpath /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/ -fontsize 12
>  1193  zutty -font 9x20
>  1198  zutty -fontsize 10x20
>  1199  zutty -fontpath /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/ -fontsize 10x20
>  1200  zutty -font 10x20
>
> I clearly have fonts:
>
> find /usr/share/fonts -print|grep "x20"
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/10x20-ISO8859-9.pcf.gz
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/10x20-ISO8859-3.pcf.gz
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/10x20-ISO8859-11.pcf.gz

Use 'xlsfonts' to see what fonts are available and use those names.
I can get it working with "zutty -font 12x24" and other numerically named
fonts. Trying with something like 'lucidasans-24' will make it dump core
however.

Maybe it respects what you tell it via .Xresources or what the file used
to be called, when you had to configure fonts by sitting with xfontsel and
try and work out what would look decent. The manual pages for xterm should
have enough clues for how to configure that - I have already forgotten all
that stuff as it no longer is required with the more modern terminal
emulators.

> Nothing I have tried works, zutty always uses the same rather small
> font.
>
> https://tomscii.sig7.se/zutty/doc/USAGE.html#Font%20selection
>
> Has this package been implemented correctly?
>
> aptitude show zutty
> Package: zutty
> Version: 0.14.0.20230218+dfsg1-1
>
> cat /etc/issue
> Debian GNU/Linux 12 \n \l

zutty is kind of only necessary when you want something *really*
lightweight and you do not need to worry about UTF-8. Just writing this
means a trip down memory lane and back to configuring CTWM on old Sun 5
workstations back in the 90's. If Debian still packages it, look for rxvt
instead, or use xterm. Both are well tried and well tested for when you
want something .. dated. ;)

--
Kind regards,

/S