Re: Debian 12.5 i386 sudo returns "Illegal instruction"

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 09:54:17AM -0400, Vic tor wrote:
> On a fresh installation of Debian 12.5, i386 I receive "Illegal instruction"
> when executing sudo. Is there any way to debug and workaround this; should I
> take this to another list as a bug?
>
> This is on a Soekris net5501 powered by an AMD Geode LX which is the only
> oddball factor. I've been running Debian on these guys since version 8 without
> any problem.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#i386-is-i686

  Debian's support for 32-bit PC (known as the Debian architecture i386)
  now no longer covers any i586 processor. The new minimum requirement
  is i686. What this means that the i386 architecture now requires the
  "long NOP" (NOPL) instruction, while bullseye still supported some
  i586 processors without that instruction (e.g. the "AMD Geode").

  If your machine is not compatible with this requirement, it is
  recommended that you stay with bullseye for the remainder of its
  support cycle.