Re: Current best practices for system configuration management?

Mike Castle writes:

Hah!

Yes, that was me > 10a ago. Transitioning from these scripts to ant allowed came with a few improvements:

* I switched all package building to `debuild` in favor of using more
  low-level tools for `raw` packages before.

* I was able to establish some sort of “buld upon new commit” poor man's
  local CI -- I experimented with some fully-fledged systems like Concurse CI
  and GitLab, too, but they were all too much for my local-first
  activities....

* When resources were required from external locations (e.g. source code
  downloads), that set of scripts did not provide for any automatism in this
  regard. One of my continuous goals is to split between “my settings” and
  some re-downloadable files. It was only achieved partially back then and
  the ant-approach takes it much further :)

Still, in many ways the ant does not do much more than the scripts linked at the message above. If you are about to create your own scripts (which is probably a better idea than trying to use my scripts anyways :) ) the shellscripts may be easier to understand.

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö