SOLVED: Re: Glitchy sound in Steam games after hard drive upgrade

On 2024-04-22 16:50, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

What are the old and new hard drive model numbers and specs?

Correction: the 4TB drive is a Western Digital WD40EFPX.  I was reading
it by shining a flashlight through a gap in the frame and squinting from
a wide angle because I didn't want to take the box apart yet again.

I've trying several of the suggestions people have kindly posted here.
The /etc directory on the new drive was getting messed up badly enough
that I decided to try copying the 500GB drive's root partition to the
4TB drive using dd.  The machine hung partway through the subsequent
boot.  So I wiped the root partition and re-installed Debian from
scratch, leaving the /home partition intact.

But the real magic was the re-installation of the Steam launcher.
Since my Portal icons were on my desktop, and clicking them made it
run (sort of), I was fooled into thinking everything was still there.
But I found a detailed set of instructions for installing Steam at
https://wiki.debian.org/Steam and followed them.  This installed or
overlaid the missing or broken parts and presto! my sound is now clean.

Many thanks to everyone for your help.  This a good lesson to not take
too many things for granted, and also to be a bit more adventurous.
(A full Debian re-install really doesn't take that long...)

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  You can't save the earth
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  unless you're willing to