Re: OT: End the Phone-Based Childhood Now

On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 06:58:55AM +0100, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 15.03.2024 um 18:16:50 Uhr schrieb Jeffrey Walton:
>
> > Fascinating reading here:
> > <https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2024/03/teen-childhood-smartphone-use-mental-health-effects/677722/>.
> > It completely explains why GenZ are having so many problems with
> > adulthood. Smartphones and Social Media are the culprits.
>
> I am from Gen Z and I can't understand why a smartphone should be
> guilty here. It might be a device that is part of the problem like
> alcohol can be when used wrong.

Yes, it took a long time to understand what
different quantaties of alcohol do to a human.

Meanwhile there are signs that "screen time" has a damaging effect.
It is reason we have this email thread.

> >     The problem was not limited to the U.S.: Similar patterns emerged
> >     around the same time in Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand,
> > the Nordic countries, and beyond. By a variety of measures and in a
> > variety of countries, the members of Generation Z (born in and after
> > 1996) are suffering from anxiety, depression, self-harm, and related
> > disorders at levels higher than any other generation for which we
> > have data.
>
> I can understand anxiety (oncoming war, economy problems), but not the
> rest.
> From school I remember many people who followed the words "Why do we
> learn? We will die because of climate change anyway".
>
> >     The decline in mental health is just one of many signs that
> > something went awry. Loneliness and friendlessness among American
> > teens began to surge around 2012. Academic achievement went down,
> > too. According to “The Nation’s Report Card,” scores in reading and
> > math began to decline for U.S. students after 2012, reversing decades
> > of slow but generally steady increase. PISA, the major international
> > measure of educational trends, shows that declines in math, reading,
> > and science happened globally, also beginning in the early 2010s.
>
> I know many people in school who really asked why they should learn
> that because they never gonna need that.

I hope the answer was: It needs training to master a skill, so train.

> I was the misfit because I did mostly computer-related stuff in my free
> time (not gaming), but at the end it definitely was and is still worth
> it.

It was training that brought the success.
Surely NOT the "It is OK that I'm a misfit".

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse