Re: Inclusive terminology (instead of master/slave) for network bonding/LACP

On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 01:42:25AM +0100, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Mike Castle wrote:
>
> >> It is "fixing" an issue for today's English speakers.
> >> Should we scour our systems looking for similar issues in
> >> other languages? Then in, say, 20 years time when different
> >> words will then be considered offensive, by some, do this
> >> all again?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Remember, there are A LOT of words and expressions we don't
> use anymore, and that's good, as they are offensive and
> disrespectful. But once they were perfectly normal. Still, one
> by one, they have disappeared from active use.

That is the big difference. Not use words *currently* deemed offensive in *new*
publications (books, newspaper articles, ...) - this is not hard to do. What we
are faced with is something very different: a call to locate and modify use in
programs that might have been written a long time ago. The effort needed to do
this is large and will doubtless cause failures in systems that have been
working well for years.

It is not just a matter of modifying Debian (+ RedHat + ...) sources but the
sources on private systems.

We seem to be told that this must be done by those who will not be doing the
work.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  https://www.phcomp.co.uk/