Re: missing development package?

Hi t,

thanks very much for the help. Responses below:

On 2024-03-04 10:05, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> There's an automatic way to do this: install the build
> dependencies:
>
>   sudo apt-get install build-dep <your-package>

I get an error:

~ $ sudo apt-get install build-dep xfce4-screensaver
[sudo] password for m:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package build-dep
~ [100] $

The man page tells me the syntax is actually apt-get build-dep [pkg],
not apt-get install build-dep [pkg]. That gets me to here:

~ $ sudo apt-get build-dep xfce4-screensaver
Reading package lists... Done
E: You must put some 'deb-src' URIs in your sources.list
~ [100] $

> This might be due to package "build-essential" missing (which, I
> think, would have come with "install build-dep"). But not quite
> sure about that. I guess build-essential won't be listed as an
> explicit build dependency.

I have it installed:

$ apt search build-essential
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
build-essential/stable,now 12.9 amd64 [installed]
  Informational list of build-essential packages