Re: xterm PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD selection [was: Re: Copy from Firefox and paste into Terminal with Vim]

On 07/02/2024 19:20, Nicolas George wrote:
Max Nikulin (12024-02-07):
It may be a convention for applications other than terminals, however I am
unsure what "standard" means for terminals.

I have not said it is more “standard for terminals”, I have that it is
more “standard” fullstop. It is more standard by the virtue of having
worked for decades, C-Ins S-Ins S-Del existed way before the C-C C-V C-X
tryptich, and still working today in most contexts.

Terminal application should leave standard hotkeys for applications running in terminals. It is the reason why modern terminals use [Ctrl+Shift+c] and [Ctrl+Shift+v] instead of conventional [Ctrl+c] and [Ctrl+v]. That is why I am against idea of adding [Ctrl+Insert] to xterm bindings.

In Emacs C-<insert> is bound to `kill-ring-save'.

Works for me. The author of XTerm is quite reactive if you can explain
the issue clearly, I am not surprised it was fixed.

My impression, it was a decision to support only single storage for handling selection. I like that it was changed.